Welcome to my adventures on New Island

Continuing stories about new residents and locals who I meet as I learn my way around my new home on New Island






Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 14 - June 21, 2011 Wednesday Julias' Spa - Longest Day of the Year




Longest Day or the Shortest Day of the Year depending on where you live.
Julia is very interesting – one Tuesday a month is her “personal” Meditation Day and since I happen to be here, she makes it my “personal” Meditation Day, too.

This morning Julia handed me a piece of parchment with the following definitions on it:

Meditation
“The emptying of the mind of thoughts, or the concentration of the mind on one thing, in order to aid mental or spiritual development, contemplation, or relaxation or the act of thinking about something carefully, calmly, seriously, and for some time, or an instance of such thinking.”


She then handed be a bag of pebbles and said go – “go to Lee’s room out onto the patio, relax and let your mind roam, free yourself from you Real World …..Fly! Create! “

And with a gentle shove - off I went to the small patio off your room here at the spa…..granted it is peaceful here – and I can hear the water tricking from the small fountain.

I spread out a white blanket and sit down on one edge and thought is she “Crazy”?  What do I know about mediating?  Ok, I’ll sit quietly and then I remembered the bag of pebbles………..and I start humming to myself  “om, om, om……….”

…….much later Julia tapped me on the shoulder and said, “What have we here?”  Here is a picture of what I created, not sure how or where I was while I worked on it and as you can see I  didn’t quite let go of my structured self, but it’s a start.

Julia only let me take one photo and then we put all the pebbles back in the bag for another time, I wonder what she will give me to mediate with next time?

No comments:

Post a Comment